Sometimes people also appreciate support when they wish to give thanks or celebrate something special. We provide a wide range of care, support and practical advice around end of life, marriage and civil partnership, and planning for memorial and funeral services. We also respond to diverse religious and cultural issues and needs.
- Support for patients, relatives and friends, and staff. We are here for all. You do not need to follow a particular religion to contact us.
- Time and space to explore thoughts, feelings or concerns.
- Religious care through reflection, prayer, reading of scriptures or sharing the sacraments.
- Services for special occasions such as Christmas carol services and our annual Celebrate a Life events.
- Scriptures from various religious traditions, prayer books and cards.
- Help to enable people to practise their faith.
The Royal Marsden’s chaplains are from a variety of faiths and denominations. Church of England, Free Church, Roman Catholic, Jewish and Muslim chaplains are available to offer spiritual care for patients, families and staff. Chaplains of other faiths can be contacted through the Chaplaincy if needed. Our chaplains are available to offer spiritual and religious care to patients, visitors and staff. They are here for you whether or not you have a religious faith. The chaplains are available during normal working hours and at the weekend. If you would like to see a chaplain please contact the Chaplaincy:
- Chelsea: 020 7808 2818 (or if dialling from inside the hospital ext 2818)
- Sutton: 020 8661 3646 (or if dialling from inside the hospital ext 3646)
You can also ask a member of the nursing staff to contact us for you, or contact us through the hospital switchboard.
The Chaplaincy team is made up of representatives of the Church of England, the Roman Catholic Church, the Free Churches, the Muslim faith and a number of pastoral volunteers serving our hospital communities in Chelsea and Sutton.
- Rev Alistair McCulloch, Lead Chaplain, Church of England (Chelsea and Sutton)
- Fr Joseph McCullough, Roman Catholic (Chelsea and Sutton)
- Deacon Pat Soule, Methodist (Chelsea)
- Rev Anne Doerr, Church of England (Sutton)
- Imam Sadeq Hansali, Muslim (Chelsea and Sutton)
Representatives of other faiths are also available through the Chaplaincy.
There is a chapel at each hospital which is always open and available for times of quiet and prayer. In both chapels there is a prayer board for you to leave your requests for prayer. Services are held during the week and all are welcome to worship with us. There are also prayer rooms at both hospitals.
The hospital chapel is near to the main reception (Fulham Road entrance). Services include Holy Communion with a time of prayer on Thursday at 1pm. All are welcome to worship with us. We also have regular music recitals in our chapel at Chelsea. Please contact us if you would like to have details of the next event. There is also a Muslim prayer room on the ground floor of the Wallace Wing (opposite to the Facilities office), which is open at all times.
The hospital chapel is on the third floor of the hospital's West Wing, near the lifts. Services include Mass on Wednesdays at 1pm, plus Bible Study and Fellowship, and Holy Communion at on Thursdays 1pm. All are welcome to worship with us. There is also a Muslim prayer room next to the chapel which is open at all times.