How do I arrange for support at home?

During your stay in hospital, a nurse will talk with you and anyone else involved in your care about how you are being supported at home. Please let the nurse know if you have already arranged care at home.

If you think you need more help when you go home, the nurse will talk with the Discharge Support Team, made up of discharge coordinators and welfare rights advisers, about how best to plan and organise it.

Medical certificates

If you need a medical certificate for work to cover the time you spend in hospital (as an inpatient) please speak to a nurse on your ward.

Emergency admission

When you receive treatment at the hospital, we will give you information about when and how to seek advice if you become unwell at home. We will also give you the contact details of the hospital team looking after you.

If you feel unwell at home

Please contact a member of your consultant’s team; they will be available to discuss your concerns, and to liaise with your consultant regarding any immediate issues. You can reach them from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, via the hospital switchboard on 020 7352 8171 (Chelsea) or 020 8642 6011 (Sutton).

At all other times, you should contact the on‑call Clinical Site Practitioner (senior nurse) through the hospital switchboard stating that you are a private patient (contact details on pages 88). They will be able to advise you and refer you to the doctor on call if necessary. You may be advised to come into The Royal Marsden or attend your nearest A&E; this will depend on the nature of your immediate need. If the doctor in A&E thinks you need to be transferred to The Royal Marsden, he or she will contact your medical team.

If you dial 999 the ambulance service will take you to your nearest Accident and Emergency (A&E) department. They will not bring you to The Royal Marsden.