What happens if I start to feel unwell at home?

Please contact a member of your consultant’s team; they will be available to discuss your concerns, and to liaise with your consultant regarding any immediate issues. You can reach them from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, via the hospital switchboard on 020 7352 8171 (Chelsea) or 020 8642 6011 (Sutton).

At all other times, you should contact the on‑call Clinical Site Practitioner (senior nurse) through the hospital switchboard stating that you are a private patient (contact details on pages 88). They will be able to advise you and refer you to the doctor on call if necessary. You may be advised to come into The Royal Marsden or attend your nearest A&E; this will depend on the nature of your immediate need. If the doctor in A&E thinks you need to be transferred to The Royal Marsden, he or she will contact your medical team.

If you dial 999 the ambulance service will take you to your nearest Accident and Emergency (A&E) department. They will not bring you to The Royal Marsden.