Good appetite, healthy weight
Eating a varied and healthy diet is important for all of us. The body needs a variety of nutrients from the food we eat, so eating a balanced diet is essential.
The World Cancer Research Fund published its diet and lifestyle recommendations in 2007. These are aimed at people with or without cancer and are summarised below. So when your appetite is good and your weight is normal, the following simple ideas can help you eat well.
Diet and lifestyle recommendations
- Maintain your weight within the normal BMI range.
- Reduce your intake of high-calorie foods and avoid sugary drinks.
- Eat at least five portions of fruit / vegetables every day.
- Eat a portion of pulses or wholegrain foods with every meal.
- Reduce your intake of red meat to no more than 500g (18oz) a week and eat minimal amounts of processed meats.
- Limit your alcohol intake to two drinks a day for men or one drink a day for women.
- Lower your salt intake. This can be helped by reducing the amount of salty and processed foods you may consume.
- Do not use dietary supplements for the prevention of cancer.