Compliance with the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA)
The Royal Marsden Private Care, part of The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, does not offer any inducements to referring clinicians to refer private patients to The Royal Marsden.
The details set out here are provided for clarity as indicated in the CMA Order on the Private Healthcare Market. The following services are available to our referring clinicians to support Private Care:
a) General services provided to ensure clinical safety
- In-house training is provided as part of the NHS induction programme, including the medical induction package and in line with NHS ongoing training.
- Operational services such as patient admission and administration are provided to consultants to support both their NHS and private practice at The Royal Marsden.
- The Trust undertakes some billing for consultants and an administrative fee of 5% plus VAT is charged.
- The Royal Marsden Private Care does not treat NHS patients and as such does not provide insurance or indemnity cover in respect of the treatment of such patients. The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is an NHS hospital and as such provides the usual protections for NHS consultants, for NHS work.
b) Basic workplace amenities
- Tea and coffee is not provided to consultants.
- Stationery is provided to enable consultants to book NHS and private patients into the outpatient clinic.
- Meals are not subsidised or provided free of charge.
- Onsite parking spaces are provided to consultants and staff of The Royal Marsden, subject to compliance with the Car Parking Policy. Consultants and staff must pay for onsite car parking.
c) General marketing
- Website presence and support.
- Consultant directory.
- Private Care magazine.
- Support in updating insurers' consultant profiles.
- Consultants' business cards and personalised Royal Marsden letterhead.
d) General corporate hospitality
- Events are held both on site and off site for external referrers, such as embassies and GPs. Consultants provide assistance at these events, to promote the Trust's services and facilities.