Mr Desmond Barton
Consultant Gynaecologist Oncologist MD FRCSEd MRCOG FACOG
Available at: Chelsea, Sutton
- surgical assessment and management of complex gynaecological cancer problems, particularly recurrent disease
- postgraduate surgical training and surgical innovation
- quality of life issues and evidence-based practice
Mr Desmond PJ Barton has both a private and an NHS practice at The Royal Marsden. He qualified with honours from Queen’s University Belfast and his initial postgraduate training was in Belfast and Dublin. He undertook a surgical and research fellowship in gynaecological oncology in the United States.
He is jointly appointed at The Royal Marsden and St. George’s Hospital, London, and his private work is undertaken The Royal Marsden.
He is a member of many national and international committees and societies, including:
- National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI)
- co-opted member of Council of the British Gynaecological Cancer Society
- commissioning group for gynaecological cancer services for England
- Society of Gynaecological Oncologists and the International Gynaecological Cancer Society
- adviser to various charities including Cancer Relief and Macmillan.
He has a national and international reputation in the field and receives many referrals from outside London. He received an NHS Hero Award from the Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt in 2012.
He is one of the most published gynaecological oncologists in the UK, with more than 100 peer-reviewed papers. He has made approximately 200 oral and poster presentations at national and international meetings.