In the UK thyroid cancer is rare with only 800 new cases registered per year. In England and Wales there are approximately 200 female and 70 male deaths attributed to thyroid cancer annually.
The Thyroid Unit provides a complete diagnostic, treatment and follow-up service for patients with any thyroid abnormality. These include over- or under-activity, nodules (either solitary or multiple) and cancer. Although malignant tumours are rare, the Unit probably treats more patients with cancer of the thyroid than any other centre in the United Kingdom; its expertise and facilities are second to none.
Patients may be referred to the Unit after initial investigations have been performed at a local provider unit. A wide national and international system of referrals has been established.
The Unit has close links with the Department of Endocrinology at St Helier Hospital NHS Trust (Carshalton) and with the Department of Surgery at St George's Hospital (Tooting).
The Unit comprises a multidisciplinary team headed by a clinical oncologist, Dr Kate Newbold. Expertise is drawn from the Departments of Medicine, Surgery, Radiotherapy, Nuclear Medicine, Physics and from The Institute of Cancer Research. Family screening and genetic counselling are also available.
Systemic isotope therapy
Systemic isotope therapy is available in the form of mIBG for metastatic medullary carcinoma. This isotope may also be useful in the treatment of other neural crest tumours such as metastatic phaeochromocytoma and paraganglioma. A full range of other isotope treatments is available.
Head of Unit
Members of Unit
- Professor Dae Kim, Consultant Thyroid & Head and Neck Surgeon
- Mr Jonathan Bernstein, Consultant Thyroid & Head and Neck Surgeon
- Dr Yong Du, Consultant in Nuclear Medicine and PET/CT
- Professor Christopher Nutting, Consultant Clinical Oncologist
- Dr Daniel L Morganstein, Consultant Endocrinologist
- Professor Kevin Harrington, Consultant Clinical Oncologist
- Dr Steve Hyer, Consultant Endocrinologist
- Professor Vinidh Paleri, Consultant Head and Neck Surgeon
- Brenda Pratt, Medical Physicist
- Louise Causer, Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Sonja Hoy, Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Christopher Stone, Service Manager