Head and Neck Unit
The Royal Marsden's Head and Neck Unit focuses on the management of, and research involving, patients with tumours of the mouth, throat, neck and head
We provide a comprehensive treatment service for patients from west London but a large part of our practice is treating difficult and complex cases referred by other specialists from other parts of the UK and also abroad.
Head and neck surgery is based at The Royal Marsden's hospital in Chelsea, where the associated specialised ward also coordinates care for patients with tracheostomies and other surgical problems.
Chemotherapy for head and neck cancers is undertaken predominantly at the hospital in Chelsea, with radiotherapy practised at both our Chelsea and Sutton hospitals.
The Head and Neck Unit at The Royal Marsden is one of the largest of its kind in Europe. It is recognised worldwide for its strength in diagnosing and treating cancers of the head and neck.
The Unit is comprised of a multidisciplinary team of highly trained and dedicated doctors, speech and language therapists, dieticians and nurses who offer state-of-the-art healthcare to patients, both as outpatients and inpatients. This is done with efficiency while treating every patient with the sensitivity, compassion and discretion he or she deserves.
Each member of the team places a high priority on ongoing research and development of new strategies for the treatment of head and neck cancer, and publishes regularly in national and international journals. In the 1950s, we were the first to be established in the UK as a multidisciplinary unit for the treatment of head and neck cancers.
Head of Unit
- Professor Christopher Nutting, Consultant Clinical Oncologist,
- Dr Silvia Bague, Consultant Pathologist
- Dr Shreerang Bhide, Clinical Oncologist
- Mr Peter Clarke, Head and Neck Surgeon
- Dr Derfel Ap Dafydd Consultant Radiologist
- Professor Kevin Harrington, Consultant Clinical Oncologist
- Dr Kate Newbold, Consultant Clinical Oncologist
- Professor Vinidh Paleri, Consultant Head and Neck Surgeon
- Dr Khin Thway, Consultant Pathologist
- Dr Richard Scawn, Consultant Ophthalmologist & Oculoplastic Surgeon
- Professor Dae Kim, Consultant Head and Neck and Thyroid Surgeon
- Christopher Stone