The unit's work takes place at The Royal Marsden's 31-bed Oak Centre for Children and Young People, one of the largest comprehensive children and young people’s cancer centres in Europe.
The clinical service is provided by a team of paediatric, clinical and medical oncologists with on-site access to radiotherapy, diagnostic imaging, pathology, specialist cancer nursing, symptom care and pharmacy expertise.
Comprehensive and leading-edge treatment
As the Centre is based at The Royal Marsden, a world leader in cancer diagnosis, treatment, research and education, patients benefit from receiving their treatment in a comprehensive cancer centre. Patients also have rapid access to high-quality cancer imaging such as CT, MRI and PET scans and the hospital’s on-site cyclotron facility.
Bone marrow transplants
The Royal Marsden is one of the largest UK bone marrow transplant units for patients with malignant disease. The Bone Marrow Transplant Team performs a wide range of transplants from different donors, including umbilical cord transplants.
It was accredited by the Joint Accreditation Committee of the International Society for Cellular Therapy and the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (JACIE) in 2009 and reaccredited in 2014.
The team is supported by a state-of-the-art stem cell laboratory for the storage of bone marrow stem cells, and provides care for a wide range of malignant diseases. One of the major strategies at The Royal Marsden is to provide outstanding symptomatic and prophylactic care to minimise acute and long-term complications.
Leadership in research and drug development
The Royal Marsden has the largest paediatric inpatient drug development programme in the UK and is recognised as a world leader.
The programme was set up with the objective of improving survival rates for children and young people with cancer. Its central theme is a bench-to-bedside approach which aims to quickly bring new targeted therapies from the lab into the clinical setting. The ultimate goal is to develop personalised treatment options for children and young people.
Our partnership with The Institute of Cancer Research and other key organisations means we offer access to leading-edge clinical trials of novel anti-cancer agents.
It Must Be Marsden
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust was the first hospital in the world to be dedicated solely to the treatment of cancer. It is a world-leading specialist cancer hospital and is rated Outstanding by the Care Quality Commission.
Over the next few months, the NHS and the Government will decide whether The Royal Marsden at Sutton will continue to be the centre for children’s cancer services for South London and South England – or whether children’s cancer services should be moved elsewhere.
Those who share their stories and who send letters to their MPs agree that children and young people with cancer, their parents and families, continue to receive the very best care and treatment from The Royal Marsden at Sutton from its kind, expert staff; and so that it can continue to conduct world-leading research that helps all those with cancer
- Dr Donna Lancaster, Head of the Children and Young People’s Unit
- Dr Assunta Albanese, Consultant Paediatric Endocrinologist
- Dr Anna-Karenia Anderson, Consultant Paediatric Palliative Care
- Dr Ayad Atra, Consultant in Paediatric Haematology
- Dr Fernando Carceller, Consultant Paediatric Oncologist
- Dr Lesley Edwards, Consultant Clinical Psychologist
- Christopher Stone, Service Manager
- Dr Donna Lancaster, Consultant Paediatric Oncologist
- Dr Daniel Levine, Consultant Radiologist and Nuclear Medicine Physician
- Dr Henry Mandeville, Consultant Clinical Oncologist
- Dr Lynley Marshall, Locum Consultant Drug Development
- Mr Bruce Okoye, Consultant Paediatric Surgeon
- Dr Mike Potter, Consultant Paediatric Haemato-oncologist
- Dr Robert Self, Consultant Paediatric Anaesthetist
- Dr Frederick Soole, Locum Consultant Paediatric Oncologist
- Jo Stone, Matron and Lead Nurse for Children
- Dr Mary Taj, Consultant Paediatric Oncologist
- Dr Sucheta Vaidya, Consultant Paediatric Oncologist
- Dr Elsje Van Rijswijk, Locum Consultant Paediatric Oncologist
- Charlotte Weston, Lead Nurse for Teenagers and Young Adults