Our services include, where appropriate:
- Familial cancer risk assessment
- Diagnostic genetic testing (testing of one or more genes known to associated with cancer predisposition)
- Predictive genetic testing (testing for a specific mutation in a gene, already identified within a family)
- Advice and referral for cancer screening
- Discussion of cancer risk-reducing management options
- Assistance with decisions on cancer treatment options
- Offer of enrolment in genetic research studies
- Long term open access follow up for patients with a known gene mutation on the RM Carrier Register
Our aim is to promote cancer prevention, early detection and to help in some cases with management decisions. We assess personal and family history of cancer to decide whether it is likely that there is a hereditary cause. We use this assessment to decide whether a genetic test might help an individual to clarify their own risk. Our clinical testing and cancer screening guidelines are available online.
We advise on cancer screening for family members and discuss options for reducing cancer risk. Recently we have developed new pathways for genetic testing with our colleagues in the breast and gynaecology units to enable some cancer patients to have genetic testing through their oncology teams.
We also work closely with the TGL Clinical Lab and research colleagues at the The Institute of Cancer Research to ensure patients receive the most up to date genetic information and tests.
Supporters of The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity donated £1.16 million to fund the establishment of the Translational Genetics Laboratory.
Your support helps us make a vital difference to the lives of cancer patients.
Cancer Genetics family history questionnaireCancer Genetics - FHQ-May 2017.pdf
Size: 138KB Published Date: March 2019
Breast Screening for BRCA1, BRCA2 and TP53 patientsGE-1627-02.pdf
Size: 228.02KB Published Date: March 2019
A beginner's guide to Lynch syndromeBeginners_guide_to_Lynch_Syndrome.pdf
Size: 722.82KB Last updated: May 2017
A beginner's guide to BRCA1 and BRCA2BRCA1_BRCA2_guide.pdf
Size: 652.92KB Last updated: May 2017
An introduction to the Cancer Genetics UnitIntroduction_to_Cancer_Genetics_Unit.pdf
Size: 157.99KB Last updated: May 2017
Chemoprevention for women at an increased risk of familial breast cancerChemoprevention_women_at_risk_familial_breast_cancer.pdf
Size: 160.65KB Last updated: September 2017
Genetic testing and insuranceGE-1460-03.pdf
Size: 113.48KB Last updated: March 2019
Searching for a death certificateSearching-for-a-death-certificate.PDF
Size: 199.28KB Last updated: January 2018