Breast Unit: information for healthcare professionals
We accept referrals for the diagnosis, treatment and care of breast cancer.
Features of The Breast Unit
- Comprehensive multi-disciplinary breast cancer service including prevention, high-risk, strong family history, and all aspects of diagnosis and multi-disciplinary treatment
- Operating on two sites for geographical convenience: London and Surrey
- Immediate and delayed breast reconstruction (where the Trust undertook the primary surgery), or tertiary plastic surgery unit referrals, including skin-sparing operations, nipple areola tattooing and reconstructive surgery following wide resections, pushing the surgical limits of breast-conserving surgery
- Bilateral prophylactic mastectomy and reconstruction in conjunction with the regional Genetics Unit
- Sentinel node services
- Neoadjuvant/pre-operative endocrine therapy and chemotherapy to avoid mastectomy for larger cancers
- State-of-the-art medical therapies: we are one of the UK's leading centres for introducing new therapies into standard practice
- Younger women: over the years we have developed a particular expertise in this very difficult and emotionally stressful area
- Pregnancy: we have a special expertise in managing breast cancer during pregnancy
- New drugs: we have access through clinical trials to new drugs and our research in this area is particularly linked to the molecular biology of breast cancer
The Breast Unit aims to be at the forefront of international research into the development of new treatments, as well as in the identification of women at high risk.