In addition to general medical and surgical intensive care for cancer patients, the team provides highly specialised care to immunocompromised patients suffering from bone marrow failure as a result of chemotherapy or bone marrow transplantation. We aim to be supportive, compassionate, personalised and open.
Critical care medical team
The critical care medical team consists of intensive care consultants and a combination of intensive care specialist registrars and Foundation Year 2 trainees. The Unit is accredited for intensive care medicine training by the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine.
Critical care nursing team
The team of over 90 nurses in the CCU is led by the critical care clinical nurse lead. There are five nursing teams, each of which is led by at least one critical care sister or charge nurse and a team leader to ensure appropriate clinical support and professional development is provided to all staff.
Our specialist practice educators provide clinical education and support for all levels of nursing staff, as well as providing tailored study days and programmes designed to meet the developmental needs of the nursing team. Nursing staff have access to a variety of education programmes, both in-house at The Royal Marsden and externally through the trust’s links with Kingston University, London, King's College London and London South Bank University, which facilitate the development of specialised oncology and intensive care nursing skills. Our nursing team aim to provide the very best technical and emotionally competent nursing care possible.
The wider multidisciplinary team includes a dedicated critical care pharmacist, a dietitian, a team of physiotherapists, speech and language therapists, a medical microbiologist and input from a palliative care consultant.
- Dr Pascale Gruber, Consultant, Critical Care Clinical Lead
- Dr Tim Wigmore, Consultant, Associate Medical Director
- Dr Gary Browne, Consultant
- Dr Vimal Grover, Consultant, Educational Lead for Critical Care
- Dr Shaman Jhanji, Consultant, Research Lead for Critical Care and Anaesthesia
- Dr Gary Wares, Consultant, Director of Medical Education
- Keetje Gull, Critical Care Clinical Nurse Lead
- Heather Spurgeon, Service Manager, Critical Care and Theatres