Foundation Trust status
In 2004, The Royal Marsden was one of the first wave of hospitals in the UK to be awarded NHS Foundation Trust status.
What are Foundation Trusts?
Foundation Trusts are organised and governed in a different way to other NHS Trusts. They have the freedom to decide how to organise their services to best meet local needs.
Foundation Trusts are a type of hospital which is independent from the Department of Health and run on a not-for-profit basis. Our Foundation Trust status allows people living near the hospital, patients, carers and staff to take an active role in shaping The Royal Marsden's future.
They are accountable to their local community, patients and staff, who all have the right to become members. They are regulated by NHS Improvement, an independent body, rather than the Department of Health.
What difference does this make?
The Royal Marsden is still an NHS hospital and continues to provide high-quality cancer care for free, not based on the patient's ability to pay.
Our Foundation Trust status allows us the freedom to make things happen more quickly and effectively than before.
Benefits of being a Foundation Trust
Foundation Trusts are organised and governed in a different way to other NHS Trusts and as a result are more flexible.
How do we benefit?
- We are able to involve our patients, staff and local communities and place them at the heart of the running of our hospital.
- We can work more closely with our partner organisations, meaning we can grow and develop to meet the needs of our communities.
- We can develop our services to meet the needs of our patients and bring new treatments to the bedside quicker.
- We can raise capital investment for new buildings and services faster and plan more effectively for the future.
- We can retain financial surpluses made during a financial year to plough back into our services.
How do you benefit?
- Patients, carers, staff and members of the public can get involved in the how The Royal Marsden is run.
- Members can attend meetings where The Royal Marsden's decision makers talk about the latest developments.
- Your views can have a real influence on the way we do things.