How to access your information

You have the right to request a copy of letters about your health, access your clinical records and know how your personal health information is used

Access to letters about you

You can choose to receive a copy of letters about you, written by one health professional to another, such as letters between your GP and your hospital doctor.

Sharing these letters will help improve communication between you and your healthcare professionals. This should in turn give you a better understanding of your planned care.

You can read more about access to letters in the leaflet 'Copying letters to patients'. This is available in all outpatient clinics and at the Help Centre.

Your right to know and see your health information

You have the right to know how your personal health information is used. You also have the right to see your health records, although if you wish get a copy this is subject to a fee. There is a £10 administration charge for providing copies of your notes and a fee of 25p per sheet for any copies made, up to a maximum cost of £50.

If you would like to view or receive copies of your clinical records you need to complete a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act. In order to do this, you can write to:

Access to Health Records Officer
The Royal Marsden
Downs Road

You can also call 020 8642 6011 and ask switchboard to put you through.

We will arrange to provide you with a copy of your information within 21 days of receiving your request and all the information needed to process it.

You have the right to ask for your information to be changed. If the information we are holding about you is incorrect, or causing you distress or harm, then you can request to have the information amended.

Please note that it is very rare for the Trust to completely remove information from your record as information is normally removed by drawing a line through it and adding a comment to say why it has been removed. This shows that the information should be ignored, and explains why, but means the record is still complete.

Only after a full risk assessment and discussions with the relevant health professional can the permanent removal of information be considered. It is difficult to describe when this may happen because such cases are so rare and must be considered on a case-by-case basis. The booklet 'Requesting amendments to health and social care records' explains this position in further detail, which can be downloaded below.

Please note that we cannot give you confidential information about other people, or information that a healthcare professional considers likely to cause serious harm to the physical or mental health of you or someone else.