Children: Michelle Payne (Ext 1082), Monday to Wednesday 9:30-14:30 and Thursday 9:30-13:00
Teenagers and young adults: Carla Reid (Ext 1644), Tuesday 8:30-14:45, Wednesday 8:30-14:45 and Friday 9:30-17:00.
The physiotherapy department will cover urgent referrals (tel 020 8661 3098) between 8:30-17:00 Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays). Outside these hours, a 24-hour on-call service is available for emergency (i.e. chest) physiotherapy. This can be accessed via the switchboard.
Physiotherapy interventions can help in the following areas:
- Techniques to aid removal of retained secretions
- Breathlessness management
- Compromised respiratory function
- Assessment for walking aid
- Balance and coordination problems
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Increased or decreased muscle tone
- Altered walking pattern
- Spinal cord compression once medical management/treatment has been confirmed
- Coordination and balance problems
- Assessment for TENS
- Provision of soft collars
- Decreased exercise tolerance and generalised weakness following chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy
- Exercise and healthy lifestyle advice
- Returning to activities following treatment
Please feel free to discuss referrals with the physiotherapy team.
Patients will be seen by the physiotherapists at The Royal Marsden during active treatment for their cancer. The need for ongoing physiotherapy will be determined by the physiotherapist. This may include:
- Outpatient physiotherapy at The Royal Marsden
- Referral to a local community team
- Referral to a local physiotherapy outpatient service.
Please note: there may be times when a medical referral will be required for community and local physiotherapy input.