Customer Service Excellence
The Royal Marsden is compliant with the Government’s Customer Service Excellence standard (formerly the Charter Mark).
It tests in great depth areas that are a priority for customers, with a particular focus on delivery, timeliness, information, professionalism and staff attitude. There is also emphasis placed on developing customer insight, understanding the user’s experience and robust measurement of service satisfaction.
Compliance against the standard is assessed on a rolling annual programme. The latest assessment report can be found below.
Our promises on timeliness and quality of customer service
The Royal Marsden aims to offer a service that is efficient, effective, excellent, equitable and empowering, and with the patient and their family, friends and carers (customers) always at the heart of service provision.
Staff will meet the needs of customers professionally, courteously and efficiently by:
- treating all customers with respect and courtesy
- listening to what customers have to say
- personalising services to the needs and circumstances of each customer where practical
- doing what they say they are going to do, or by updating the appropriate people promptly if things change, offering an explanation for the change
- responding to enquiries promptly and efficiently.
- When answering a telephone call staff will greet the caller and identify themselves, giving their name and department. Staff will aim to answer the telephone within three rings.
- If staff are not able to answer a caller’s query immediately, they will provide a response within two working days where the query is not of a complex nature.
- All letters about clinical matters will be transcribed, signed and posted within six working days. In rare circumstances, an extension in response time may be agreed in discussion with the patient.
- Unless otherwise specified, a reply to correspondence relating to non-clinical matters will be sent out within five days of receipt. If this is not possible an acknowledgment will be sent explaining the delay.
- Contact names and telephone numbers will be provided in all correspondence.
- All emails about non-clinical matters sent via the Trust’s website or to the Patient Centre email address will be responded to within two working days. If this is not possible, the enquirer will be informed of progress and a realistic timescale set for resolution.
- The Trust’s website will be available 24 hours a day all year round with downtime of no more than 1% each year.
The full version of these promises can be found in the customer service policy below.
Email and telephone audits
To see how well we are doing in providing excellent customer service, we measure performance in a number of ways including patient surveys, complaints monitoring and audits. Below are reports of two recent audits that looked at how well staff respond to telephone calls and emails.
|Customer Service Excellence assessment report
|Email response audit
|Telephone response audit
|Customer service policy