Mr Cyrus Kerawala
- Consultant Maxillofacial / Head and Neck Surgeon
- MBBS (Hons)
- BDS (Hons)
- FDSRCS (Eng)
- FRCS Ed
- FRCS (Max-Fac)
Cyrus Kerawala graduated with an honours degree in medicine from the University of London (St George’s Hospital) in 1992. Since he specialises in the surgical ablation and reconstruction of head and neck cancer patients he also chose to study dentistry, gaining another honours degree from the University of London in so doing (The Royal London Hospital). As an undergraduate he was awarded 14 prizes.
He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of both England and Edinburgh.
After experience in general surgery and neurosurgery, Cyrus Kerawala spent five years of specialist training in the North East of England. He passed the Intercollegiate Examination in Maxillofacial Surgery in September 1998 and has been on the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council since August 1999.
Cyrus Kerawala was appointed as a Consultant in September 1999 and spent eight years at the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford and North Hampshire Hospital in Basingstoke before moving to The Royal Marsden in May 2008.
In 2005 Mr Kerawala was awarded the BAOMS Surgery Prize by his national association in recognition of his national and international contribution to patient care.
Mr Kerawala’s surgical interests concentrate on mucosal and cutaneous malignancy of the head and neck, particularly reconstruction of the post-ablative defect. His main research areas concern free tissue transfer, marginal control of disease, management of the neck and salivary gland cancer.
He devotes a significant amount of time to teaching, professional training and continuing medical education. Mr Kerawala has presented over 100 papers at international and national meetings and has been invited to lecture throughout Europe, America, Asia and Australia. In addition he has published over 50 papers in peer-review journals, written five chapters for textbooks and edited a further book.
Mr Kerawala is also:
- Chairman, Education and Training Committee of the International Academy of Oral Oncology
- Assistant Editor, International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Honorary Secretary, British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Assistant Editor, British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Professional Advisor to the Health Service Ombudsman
- Member of Appeals Panel, Postgraduate Medical and Education Training Board
- Specialist Advisor to the National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death
- Examiner for the Intercollegiate FRCS
- Expert Panel Member for the DAHNO (Database for Head and Neck Oncology) Project
- Editorial Board Member for Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Head and Neck Oncology, Oral Oncology and Journal of Surgical Oncology.